June 11, 2007

Musings on the U.S. Open Cup and Marketing 101

It seems like a few people need to go back to school. I just can't understand a lot of things in the world sometimes, and this is one to add to the list.

My beloved (HA!) Atlanta Silverbacks will open the US Open Cup tomorrow night against Azzurri at the ReMax. Hmmm....you wouldn't know it by checking the schedule or last press release on the team's website. I guess they want to keep this on the DL, if you know what I mean. That might be a good idea, considering that the last time they hosted a US Open Cup game, things didn't go so well.

Wait, now this all makes sense to me. THAT's why they're charging full price, not including parking for a game against an amateur team. I guess they only want 20 or so people to watch them get embarrassed.

Even though I said I'd go to this game, I'm not paying $20 just to watch it. I'd rather sit at home and read, not knowing how bad things are.

But I'll guarantee you this (and I've promised Shoe and a few other people the following): If the Silverbacks lose and Jason Smith ISN'T fired, I'm donating my season ticket to Soccer in the Streets. So Ricardo, Jill, Harvey and co. can show kids how NOT to play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

10-0. 5 goals after the 75th min. Sportsmanship at its finest.